At Haley Guiliano, our team sets us apart. We continuously look for talented individuals to join us and are actively recruiting for the following opportunities:
Technical Advisor New York, NY
- Title: Technical Advisor (Engineering)
- Location: New York (Financial District), NY
- Travel: As needed / Typically <10%
- Job Type: Full-time
Engineers can make great lawyers. We can help you on that path.
Haley Guiliano LLP is a full-service IP law firm with offices in San Jose, New York City, and London. At HG, we specialize in building patent portfolios that impact and drive our client’s business. Our clients, who come to us from a vast array of engineering and life sciences sectors, have come to rely on HG’s technical know-how and understanding to support their success.
HG is actively seeking talented engineers for our New York office to work on patent-related matters as Technical Advisors. Haley Guiliano’s Technical Advisors work in an apprenticeship-style role with senior attorneys to provide our clients with world-class IP services while they build a solid foundation for a career in intellectual property law. Technical Advisors use their backgrounds and problem-solving skills to understand our clients’ cutting-edge innovations and efficiently handle our clients’ worldwide patent and legal matters. No previous legal training or experience is required.
We’re working on how we are coming back to the office. Right now, Haley Guiliano is a hybrid workplace with a goal to remain flexible, but applicants should have the ability to work in-person at our New York, NY offices.
- Minimum B.S. in Physics, Comp. Sci., or an Engineering discipline (EE, ME, CE, etc…) or industrial experience in an engineering field. This degree must qualify you to sit for the U.S. Patent Bar.
- An excellent academic record (great grades in hard classes).
- Exceptional English written and oral communication skills (you love to write).
- Must be a self-starter with a healthy curiosity and an interest in developing a career in intellectual property.
- Excellent analytical skills and a healthy imagination for problem-solving.
- A strong drive and willingness to own projects and see them to completion.
- Multi-dimensional interests. Whether you bring deep Star Trek knowledge or a refined love of cooking, we run best with interesting people.
- Fluency in other languages is advantageous but not required.
Daily tasks include:
- Understanding client business and technological landscapes.
- Helping clients when third parties have misappropriated client intellectual property.
- Conferring with inventors about their inventions.
- Counseling clients on strategies for how to protect their inventions.
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
- Defending client patents against third party challenges.
- Learning intellectual property law.
We offer a collegial and casual work environment.
Competitive compensation and benefits package. We start our TAs at a $115,000 base salary.
We provide study courses for the patent bar and the LSAT (if applicable).
We send outstanding Technical Advisors to part-time law school and cover their tuition.
Please apply with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To move forward with an application, we’ll need the following:
- Transcripts (unofficial is acceptable)
- Writing sample (pick something that you think shows off your ability to communicate)